Here is a FANTASTIC recipe from the Celiac Princess. Perfect for Super Bowl Sunday! Follow the link below to go directly to the page where you will find more fabulous eats!
Vanessa Maltin Weisbrod’s Sweet & Spicy Chili
Yields 8 servings
3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
1 sweet yellow onion, diced
1 pound button mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced red pepper
½ cup diced carrots
1 pound ground beef (can substitute ground turkey)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup red wine
4 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 can kidney beans, drained
Salt, to taste
Grated sharp cheddar cheese for garnish
Sour cream for garnish
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms, celery, red pepper, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent.
- Add in ground beef and cook until the meat is lightly browned and no pink spots remain. Add in minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine and stir until well combined. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in cumin, chili powder, thyme, oregano and brown sugar. Bring soup back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover the pot and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Taste the soup and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Add in drained kidney beans and bring soup back up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for an additional five minutes.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with grated cheddar cheese and sour cream. Serve the soup with Sweet Honey Cornbread.
Vanessa Maltin Weisbrod’s Sweet Honey Cornbread
Yields 12 servings
1 cup gluten-free Bisquick
1 cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup skim milk
¼ cup honey
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9” square baking pan.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine Bisquick, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add in egg, milk, honey, vegetable oil and melted butter and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 22 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Slice and serve cornbread with the chili.